Great Britain 1684 1/2 guinea Fr-290
This specimen was lot 20324 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,680. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Guinea, 1684. Charles II (1660-85). PCGS EF-45 Secure Holder. Second laureate bust (rounded truncation). Striking orange peel tone with great eye appeal elevates this example." This type was struck 1672-84. There is a similar type (KM 439.2) struck 1676-84 with an elephant and castle added below the king's bust; this marked gold obtained from Africa.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.18 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3348; Fr-290; KM-439.1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.