Great Britain 1683 half crown
This specimen is lot 241 in Spink sale 9031 (London, November 2009). The catalog description noted, "Charles II, Halfcrown, 1683 t qvinto, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, rev. four crowned shields cruciform, interlinked Cs in angles, good very fine and with much brilliance, but with numerous small adjustment marks and other file marks both sides." This type was struck 1672-84 in some numbers and is pretty reasonable in circulated condition but choice examples, as always, are expensive.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 15.05 g, .925 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM 438.1, S.3367.
- Bishop, Richard, and William MacKay, Ancient, English and Foreign Coins, and Commemorative Medals, London: Spink, 2009.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.