Great Britain 1682 crown
This specimen was lot 24165 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $1,175. The catalog description noted, "Charles II Crown 1682/1, 4th Bust, Tricesimo Quarto edge, VF35 "A-Tokyo Collection" NGC, evenly worn with pleasing gray surfaces for the grade level, the overdate clear." This type is listed for 1679-84 and is not rare but the price ascends rapidly with grade. The SCWC lists the overdate as common and the regular date as rare.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 30.10 g, .925 fine silver, .895 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3359, ESC-65A, KM 445.1, Dav-3776B.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.