Great Britain 1679 crown
This specimen was lot 40577 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $5,288. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1679. NGC AU-58. Charles II (1660-85). Fourth bust. Nice strike. Toned and very attractive. From the Demarete Collection." This type is listed for 1671-80 and is not rare but the price ascends rapidly with grade.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Dav-3776; S-3359; KM-445.1.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.