Great Britain 1679 4 pence
This type was struck 1670-84 in sufficient quantities that worn specimens are common. Overdates abound. This specimen was lot 2566 in Goldberg sale 100 (Los Angeles, September 2017), where it sold for $141. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Fourpence, 1679. Charles II. Lustrous and attractive practically mint state. Almost Uncirculated to Uncirculated."
Recorded mintage: unknown but scarce in nice condition.
Catalog reference: S.3384, ESC-1847A, KM 434.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 100: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2017.