Great Britain 1679 2 pence
This specimen was lot 2707 in Goldberg sale 91 (Los Angeles, June 2016), where it sold for $258.50. The catalog description noted, "Great Britain. Twopence, 1679 NGC MS62. Charles II. Obverse draped laureate bust of king right. Reverse crowned interlinked Cs. Bright and lustrous with no apparent signs of wear. NGC graded MS-62." This type was issued 1668-84 and is common up to VF. It is the only milled tuppence of Charles II. Altho this might seem an appropriate denomination for a copper coin, copper was used only for farthings and halfpennies until the late eighteenth century.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: S.3388, KM 429.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 91: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.