Great Britain 1676 crown
This specimen was lot 20325 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $2,400. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1676. Charles II (1660-85). NGC AU-55. WINGS Approved. Nice strike with details. Lovely old cabinet tone with and attractive blue sheen. Lustrous and attractive." This type is listed for 1671-80 and is not rare but the price ascends rapidly with grade.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 30.10 g, .925 fine silver, .895 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3358, ESC-51, KM 435, Dav-3776.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.