Great Britain 1671 crown Dav-3776
This specimen was lot 24164 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $2,115. The catalog description noted, "Charles II Crown 1671, 3rd Bust, Vicesimo Tertio edge, XF45 "A-Tokyo Collection" NGC, a few ancient marks including one on the king's throat, well centered and sharp with strong rims, edge lettering nice and clear, old gray toning. Quite a pleasing crown for this type." This type is listed for 1671-80 and is not rare but the price ascends rapidly with grade.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 30.10 g, .925 fine silver, .895 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3358, ESC-43, KM 435, Dav-3776.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.