Great Britain 1667 crown
This specimen was lot 24161 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $1,762.50. The catalog description noted, "Charles II Crown 1667, 2nd Bust, Decimo Nono edge, XF40 'A-Tokyo Collection' NGC, well balanced in strike, evenly worn, deep gray and gold old-cabinet toning. Scarce." This type is listed in the SCWC for 1667-71 and is fairly inexpensive in grades up to Fine but ascends rapidly with grade. The purchaser of this item obtained a bargain.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 30.10 g, .925 fine silver, .895 troy oz ASW.
Catalog reference: S-3357, ESC-35A, KM 422.3, Dav-3775B.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.