Great Britain 1664 2 guineas Fr-285
The first specimen was lot 24907 in Heritage sale 3032 (Chicago, April 2014), where it sold for $3,818.75. The catalog description noted, "Charles II gold 'Elephant' 2 Guineas 1664, XF45 NGC. First bust. Elephant below. Attractive, golden-yellow luster with slightly porous surfaces and somewhat visible hairlines. An historically important piece as 1664 was the first year that milled gold coinage was produced in this denomination. Truly a lovely example of this variety featuring a somewhat softly-struck obverse with the coveted elephant mark below." The second specimen was lot 21059 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it sold for $4,320. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 2 Guineas, 1664. Charles II (1660-85). NGC EF-40. Elephant privy mark. Moderately circulated, yet attractive, with few marks that catch the eye and a bold blend of orange, magenta and blue tone that surrounds the raised designs on both sides. Incredibly popular as a type, with the Elephant mark designating this piece as struck from gold mined by the Royal Africa Company along the Gambia River." This denomination is known with and without an elephant below the bust on the obverse. The "elephant" variety was struck 1664 only but is more available than the "without elephant" variety of 1664, 1665 and 1671. Neither are cheap.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 16.7 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: S-3334, Fr-285, KM 425.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3032, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.