Great Britain 1649 6 pence
This specimen was lot 34787 in Ponterio sale 177 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $446. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 6 Pence, 1649. Sun Mint Mark. Common Wealth (1649-60). Toned. From the Demarete Collection." This type is listed with the sun mintmark for 1649-57 and with the anchor mintmark (KM 389.2) for 1658-60. When milled coinage was introduced in the 1670's, much of the hammered coin was called in and melted. Portrait sixpences also exist.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: Fr-unlisted; S-3219; KM-389.1; North-2726.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 177: The August 2013 Chicago ANA Auction, World Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Rayner, P. Alan, and Maurice Bull, English Silver Coinage from 1649, 6th Ed., London: Spink & Son, 2015.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.