Great Britain 1605-06 rose ryal
This specimen was lot 7130 in Ponterio sale 152 (New York, January 2010), where it sold for $18,400. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Rose Ryal, ND (1605-06). James I (1603-25). NGC AU-55." This type was struck without a date in the early part of James' reign; other rose ryals are dated to the 1619-25 period. All are rare and expensive.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 13 g, .995 fine gold, .415 troy oz AGW.
Catalog reference: Fr-230; S-2613; KM 42.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, Ponterio sale 152: The 2010 NYINC Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2009.