Great Britain (1660-62) half crown KM-410
This specimen was lot 22426 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it sold for $376. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. 1/2 Crown, ND (1660-62). Charles II (1660-85). PCGS EF-40 Secure Holder. Third issue with inner circles and mark of value from the last mintage of hammered coinage in Britain. Struck on a crude flan which is normal for this issue. Softly struck with the outer legends being nicely raised in relief but the centers being more flat and only mild circulation wear visible. Very attractively toned with lustrous multicolored hues present throughout the periphery and the protected areas of the center while the open fields are a medium gray with some light lilac tones. From the Rye Collection." Oliver Cromwell's death in 1659 left a leadership vacuum which was quickly filled by inviting prince Charles back from exile to become Charles II. The first series of silver coins of his regime reverted to the old practice of not dating them and come in denominations of penny, tuppence, threepence, groat, sixpence, shilling and halfcrown. When milled coinage was introduced in 1663, copper coinage was produced for the first time since before the Civil War. The penny would remain silver until 1797.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: S-3321; KM-410; N-2761.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.
- (1660-62) silver tuppence, first issue
- (1660-62) silver tuppence, third issue, circle added
- (1660-62) threepence, third issue
- (1660-62) groat
- (1660-62) sixpence, third issue
- (1660-62) shilling, first issue
- (1660-62) shilling, third issue, circle added
- (1660-62) gold crown
- (1660-62) unite without "XX"
- (1660-62) unite with "XX"
- Great Britain 1662 crown
- Coins and currency dated 1660
- return to coins of Great Britain