Great Britain (1660-62) crown Fr-279
This specimen was lot 20193 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $12,925. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Charles II, 1660-1685. Crown, ND (1660-62). Crown. Hammered Coinage. Laureate and draped bust left; no mark of value behind. Rv. Crowned garnished oval arms; flanked by ‘C’ and ‘R’. Beautifully toned with rose highlights. NGC AU-55. Ex: Spink, 1983." Oliver Cromwell's death in 1659 left a leadership vacuum which was quickly filled by inviting prince Charles back from exile to become Charles II. The first series of gold coins of his regime reverted to the old practice of not dating them and come in denominations of unite, double crown and crown. When milled coinage was introduced in 1663, these denominations were retired in favor of the guinea, its fractions and multiples. The guinea would be the basis for all gold issues until the reform of 1817 and took its name from the source of the original gold, the Gulf of Guinea in west Africa.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: S-3303; North-2757; Fr-279: KM-411.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Great Britain 1653 unite Fr-269
- (1660-62) silver tuppence, first issue
- (1660-62) silver tuppence, third issue, circle added
- (1660-62) threepence, third issue
- (1660-62) groat
- (1660-62) sixpence, third issue
- (1660-62) shilling, first issue
- (1660-62) shilling, third issue, circle added
- (1660-62) half crown
- (1660-62) unite without "XX"
- (1660-62) unite with "XX"
- Great Britain 1662 crown
- Coins and currency dated 1660
- return to coins of Great Britain