Great Britain (1660-62) 2 pence KM-399
This specimen was lot 31348 in Heritage sale 3029 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $528.75. The catalog description noted, "Charles II Twopence ND (1660-62), no inner-circle or value mark, AU58 NGC. In unusually good condition for the type. One would be hard-pressed to find a significantly nicer example. Ex: 'Colonel' E.H.R. Green; Green Estate' Partnership of Eric P Newman/B.G. Johnson." Oliver Cromwell's death in 1659 left a leadership vacuum which was quickly filled by inviting prince Charles back from exile to become Charles II. The first series of silver coins of his regime reverted to the old practice of not dating them and come in denominations of penny, tuppence, threepence, groat, sixpence, shilling and halfcrown. When milled coinage was introduced in 1663, copper coinage was produced for the first time since before the Civil War. The penny would remain silver until 1797.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Catalog reference: KM 399, S-3387, ESC-2161.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Stuart Levine and Bruce Lorich, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3029, featuring Selections from the Eric P. Newman Collection, Part III, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- (1660-62) tuppence, third issue
- (1660-62) threepence, third issue
- Great Britain (1660-62) 4 pence KM-391
- (1660-62) sixpence, third issue
- (1660-62) shilling, first issue
- (1660-62) shilling, third issue
- Great Britain (1660-62) half crown KM-410
- Great Britain (1660-62) unite Fr-276
- Great Britain (1660-62) crown Fr-279
- Great Britain (1660-62) unite Fr-275
- Great Britain 1662 crown
- Coins and currency dated 1660
- return to coins of Great Britain