Great Britain (1636-38) unite Fr-246
This specimen was lot 20447 in Stack's Bowers ANA Auction (Denver, CO, August 2017), where it sold for $5,640. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Unite (20 Shillings), ND (1636-38). Charles I (1625-49). NGC MS-62. Smaller bust with unjewelled crown. Quite a pleasant example with the vast majority of the details struck up and defined. Lustrous and attractive with a lovely tone of honey gold and flesh of mango." Charles' conflicts with Parliament and his subsequent inability to raise funds cramped the production of gold. This type struck 1625-42 is called the fourth bust in the SCWC; Skingley says this is the fifth bust. This issue is dated to 1636-38 by the tun mintmark.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 9 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 9.06 gms.
Catalog reference: S-2692; Fr-246; KM-153; N-2153.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.