Great Britain (1631-32) unite Fr-253
This specimen was lot 20177 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $18,800. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Charles I, 1625-1649. Unite, ND (1631-32). Daisy, B/B. Briot’s Coinage. Distinctive Early Milled Briot Unite Rarity Crowned bust left, long tresses; ‘XX’ behind. Rv. Crowned square topped arms; flanked by ‘C’ and ‘R’. A rare and distinctive milled type issue. Details nearly Extremely Fine, though the piece was once lightly cleaned; it is now attractively retoning. Two very thin scratches are noted on the obverse, one in front of the chin. An important type coin. Very Fine. Ex: Spink, 1985." This gold unite (twenty shillings) was accompanied by a gold angel (Fr-245), crown (Fr-248) and double crown (Fr-247). The hammered gold more usually looked like Fr-246.Charles' conflicts with Parliament and his subsequent inability to raise funds cramped the production of gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, this specimen 137.4 grains.
Catalog reference: S-2719; North-2294; Fr-253; KM-171.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- (1630-31) unite
- Great Britain (1630-31) double crown
- Great Britain (1627-28) crown Fr-248
- (1631-32) sixpence
- (1631-32) silver crown
- Great Britain (1632-34) 1/2 crown
- Great Britain (1635-36) double crown Fr-247
- Great Britain (1636-38) unite Fr-246
- Coins and currency dated 1631
- return to coins of Great Britain