Great Britain (1625-26) unite Fr-246
This specimen was lot 20160 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $2,585. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Charles I, 1625-1649. Unite, ND (1625-26). Lis. Group A, first bust. King left in double arch crown and coronation robes; ‘XX’ behind. Rv. Crowned square topped garnished arms. Reverse Lis to right of crown. A little soft around the periphery, but the portrait is fairly strong. Very Fine. Ex: Lubbock, 1981." This gold unite (twenty shillings) was accompanied by a gold angel (Fr-245), double crown (Fr-247) and gold crown (Fr-248). Charles' conflicts with Parliament and his subsequent inability to raise funds cramped the production of gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, this specimen 140.0 grains.
Catalog reference: S-2685; North-2146; Fr-246; KM-150.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Great Britain (1620-21) 1/2 laurel Fr-243
- Great Britain (1623-24) rose ryal Fr-239
- Great Britain (1625) penny
- (1625) silver crown, lis mintmark
- Great Britain (1625) double crown Fr-247
- Great Britain (1627-28) crown Fr-248
- Great Britain (1627-28) unite Fr-246
- Coins and currency dated 1625
- return to coins of Great Britain