Great Britain (1625) crown Fr-248
This specimen was lot 30878 in Heritage sale 3049 (Long Beach, September 2016), where it sold for $1,527.50. The catalog description noted, "Charles I gold Crown ND (1625) AU58 NGC, Tower mint, Lis mm. Moderately struck on a slightly ragged flan with appealing, reddish tone. The details on the robes and crown of Charles are excellent." This gold crown (five shillings) was accompanied by a gold angel (Fr-245), unite (Fr-246) and double crown (Fr-247). Charles' conflicts with Parliament and his subsequent inability to raise funds cramped the production of gold.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 2.25 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 34.9 grains.
Catalog reference: S-2709, North-2179; Fr-248; KM-136.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Cristiano Bierrenbach, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World Coin Auction 3049, featuring the Ohio Valley Collection, the Redwood Collection and the F.P. Briand Collection, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2016.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.