Great Britain (1623-24) rose ryal Fr-239
This specimen was lot 20146 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $35,250. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. James I, 1603-1625. Rose-ryal, ND (1623-24). Lis. Third Coinage. Sharply Struck Third Coinage Rose-ryal Seated James I holding orb and scepter; intricate field of lis pattern and portcullis at feet. Rv. Square topped quartered shield center, ‘XXX’ above. All within beaded ring with alternating lis-lion-rose emblems. Another beautiful example and perfect for a type set of British gold coinage. Sharply struck on a lovely flan, with only petty striking weakness noted at a very few points; the centers are exceptional. Magnificent, natural deep color. Faint cabinet wear only. An impressive type. Extremely Fine. Ex: Glendining, 1981." This rose ryal of James' third issue was accompanied by a spur ryal (Fr-240), angel, laurel (Fr-242) and half laurel (Fr-243). With the accession of James I we drop "England" as the country name and adopt the current "Great Britain."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, this specimen 193.2 grains.
Catalog reference: S-2632; North-2108; Fr-239; KM-66.2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Great Britain (1619-20) rose ryal Fr-239
- Great Britain (1619-20) laurel
- Great Britain (1619-20) spur ryal Fr-240
- Great Britain (1620-21) 1/2 laurel Fr-243
- Great Britain (1623-24) shilling
- Great Britain (1623-24) 1/4 laurel Fr-244
- Great Britain (1623-24) laurel Fr-242
- Great Britain (1625-26) unite Fr-246
- Coins and currency dated 1623
- return to coins of Great Britain