Great Britain (1618-19) unite Fr-234
This specimen was lot 20445 in Stack's Bowers ANA Auction (Denver, CO, August 2017), where it sold for $5,640. The catalog descriptionPonterio noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Unite (22 Shillings), ND (1618-19). Plain Cross Mint Mark. James I (1603-25). NGC MS-62. Fifth bust. Initially the Unite was valued at 20 Shillings, but in 1612 a coinage reform raised the values of all gold coinage by 10% making the Unite worth 22 Shillings. This ended in 1619 when the Unite was replaced by the lighter 20 shilling pieces the "Laurel" and its subdivisions. The present example is one of the last issued before their replacement. Well struck with minimal doubling, lustrous with light attractive tone. An interesting piece sure to excite the specialist of British numismatics." This unite of James's second issue was accompanied by a rose ryal (Fr-230), angel, half angel (Fr-233), spur ryal (Fr-231), double crown (Fr-235), crown (Fr-238) and half crown (Fr-237). With the accession of James I we drop "England" as the country name and adopt the current "Great Britain."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 9 g, .917 fine gold.
Catalog reference: Fr-234; KM-47; S-2620; N-2085.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2017 Denver ANA Auction: Ancients, Selections from The Richard Stuart Collection & World Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Great Britain (1604-05) crown Fr-238
- Great Britain (1606-07) double crown
- Great Britain (1611-12) shilling
- Great Britain (1612-13) 1/2 crown Fr-237
- Great Britain (1612-13) unite Fr-234
- Great Britain (1613-15) 1/2 angel Fr-233
- Great Britain (1619-20) laurel
- Coins and currency dated 1618
- return to coins of Great Britain