Great Britain (1613-15) 1/2 angel Fr-233
This specimen was lot 20131 in Ponterio sale 176 (Chicago, August 2013), where it sold for $32,900. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. James I, 1603-1625. Half Angel, ND (1613-15). Cinquefoil. Second Coinage. Exceedingly Rare Half Angel with an Extensive Pedigree Chain St. Michael spearing dragon. Rv. Ship with shield at center; ‘I’ and rose flank thick mast. Exceedingly rare. An important James I type from the Norweb sale which, considering its great rarity, was acquired by Mr. Law at a reasonable price. Seldom encountered and a perfect example for the grade. Full legends and well struck details, particularly the angel and dragon scales. The coin also boasts a fabulous pedigree chain that includes Montagu, Murdoch, and Lockett, among others, attesting to its immense rarity. Extremely Fine. Ex: Spink's 1985 Norweb Collection-English Coins Part II, Lot 389; Bought at Spink, 1957; Numismatic Circular, December 1956; R. C. Lockett, lot 2082; Lt. Col. Leslie-Ellis; J. G. Murdoch Part I, lot 740; H. Montagu Part III, lot 181; W. Brice; E. Wigan." This half angel of James' second issue was accompanied by a rose ryal (Fr-230), angel (Fr-232), unite (Fr-234), spur ryal (Fr-231), double crown (Fr-235), crown (Fr-236) and half crown. With the accession of James I we drop "England" as the country name and adopt the current "Great Britain."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: gold, this specimen 36.8 grains.
Catalog reference: S-2617; North-2082; Fr-233; KM-43.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Bruce Roland Hagen, Ponterio sale 176: The Thos. H. Law Collection of English Gold Coins, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers, LLC, 2013.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.