Great Britain (1612-13) double crown
This specimen was lot 20303 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $1,500. The catalog description noted, "GREAT BRITAIN. Double Crown, ND (1612-13). James I (1603-25). PCGS AU-50 Secure Holder. Tower mintmark. Second coinage, fifth bust. Crowned bust right, plain armor details, different ruff and thinner head; Reverse: Crowned square atop quartered shield flanked by 'I' and 'R'; dual titles of queen and king. An original straight graded piece that is exceptionally well made, with full legends on the flan and an attractive strike with minor evidence of doubling. Crisp clear legends and devices. Purchased from Spink London 09/69." This double crown of James' second issue was accompanied by a rose ryal (Fr-230), angel, half angel (Fr-233), spur ryal (Fr-231), unite (Fr-234), crown (Fr-238) and half crown (Fr-237). With the accession of James I we drop "England" as the country name and adopt the current "Great Britain."
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 4.5 g, .917 fine gold, this specimen 4.96 gms.
Catalog reference: S-2623; North-2088; Fr-235; KM-40.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.
- Lobel, Richard, Mark Davidson, Allan Hailstone and Eleni Calligas, Coincraft's Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins, 1066 to Date, London: Coincraft, 1995.
- Skingley, Philip, ed., Standard Catalogue of British Coins: Coins of England & the United Kingdom, 46th edition, London: Spink & Son, 2011.
- Great Britain (1604-05) crown Fr-238
- Great Britain (1606-07) unite Fr-234
- Great Britain (1606-07) double crown
- Great Britain (1611-12) shilling
- Great Britain (1612-13) 1/2 crown Fr-237
- Great Britain (1613-15) 1/2 angel Fr-233
- Great Britain (1612-13) unite Fr-234
- Great Britain (1619-20) laurel
- Coins and currency dated 1612
- return to coins of Great Britain