Germany 1877-B 2 pfennig
This specimen was lot 20528 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "GERMANY. 2 Pfennig, 1877-B. Hannover Mint. PCGS MS-62 BN Secure Holder. KM-2. Fully sharp, minimally marked and displaying remnants of original mint red around the protected devices. A RARE and highly desirable date/mintmark combination, this being easily the finest we have seen, with the closest comparable example in archived auction records being what appears to be a fully brown AU (graded as "vorzuglich" in German standards) that was sold in a May 2017 Heidelberger auction and brought 900 Euros hammer (or approximately $1,000)." This coin is a copper two pfennig from a type issued 1873-77 from the Berlin (mintmark "A"), Hannover (mintmark "B", shown here), Frankfurt (mintmark "C"), Munich (mintmark "D"), Dresden (mintmark "E"), Stuttgart (mintmark "F"), Karlsruhe (mintmark "G") and Hamburg (mintmark "J") mints. Under the German Empire of 1871-1918, the denominations of two mark and up were permitted for the formerly independent principalities while the lower denominations (one pfennig thru one mark) were minted to a unified design. The two pfennig was terminated in 1877, probably because it was superfluous.
Recorded mintage: 60,010, the key date.
Specification: 3.25 g, copper, 20 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: KM-2.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.
- Germany 1875-B 2 pfennig
- 1877-F 20 pfennig
- 1877-B 50 pfennig
- 1877-C 50 pfennig
- 1877-E 50 pfennig
- 1877-F 50 pfennig
- 1877-A mark
- Baden 1877-G 5 mark gold
- Bavaria 1877-D 5 mark gold
- Hamburg 1877-J 5 mark gold
- Prussia 1877-C 5 mark gold
- Saxony 1877-E 5 mark gold
- Wurttemberg 1877-F 5 mark gold
- Coins and currency dated 1877
- return to coins of Germany, Empire (1871-1918)