Friesland 1620 rijksdaalder Dav-4829
This specimen was lot 23391 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Las Vegas, August 2020), where it sold for $132. The catalog description noted, "NETHERLANDS. Friesland. Rijksdaalder, 1620. NGC AU-50. Coin is lightly toned and unevenly struck with various points of weakness, which is typical for the type." This prince's daalder was struck for this province 1606-22, 1626-30, 1650-51. It is rare in nice condition mostly because it was wretchedly struck.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 29.03 g, 0.885 fine silver.
Catalog reference: KM-22; Dav-4829.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1601-1700, 6th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2014.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1600-1700, Galesburg, IL, 1974.
- Delmonte, A., Le Bénélux D'or, Amsterdam: Jacques Schulman N.V., 1964, with supplements to 1977.
- van der Wis, Jan, and Tom Passon, Catalogus van de Nederlandse Munten geslagen sind bet aantreden van Philips II tot aan het einde van de Bataafse Republiek (1555-1806), 2nd ed., Apeldoorn, Netherlands: Omni-Trading b.v., 2009.
- Orsini, Matt, Richard Ponterio and Kyle Ponterio, The August 2020 ANA Auction: World Coins, featuring the Duke of Lansing Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2020.