France L'AN 9-L 5 francs
This specimen was lot 20444 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it sold for $1,527.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 5 Franc, L'AN 9 (1800-01)-L. Bayonne Mint. NGC MS-61. Directorate and Consulate Period. A design that would be revisited later in the nineteenth century, but still quite new at the time this piece was struck. A handsome all white example with attractive luster." This specimen shown was struck at the Bayonne mint during the French Consulate (1799-1804) and was meant to replace the écu of the ancien régime after the execution of king Louis XVI. The Gregorian calendar was replaced by the revolutionary calendar. Year 9, shown here, comprised September 1800 thru September 1801. This "Hercules" type was struck until year 11 (1802-03) from numerous mints, tho only Paris is known for year 4. Le Franc has reanalyzed the type, assigning it catalog numbers 287 thru 300, depending on the position of the obverse legend ("UNION ET FORCE"), the details of the oak wreath on the reverse and so forth. As each die was hand made, the varieties are as numerous as those of United States bust half dollars or early large cents. Overdates and repunched mintmarks and privy marks are common (An "AN 9/6" overdate is recorded for this mint). The type was produced in the millions and is not rare in low grades but the price ascends rapidly with grade.
Recorded mintage: 310,876 (a slightly better date).
Specification: 25 g, .900 fine silver, edge lettered GARANTIE NATIONALE, designed by Augustin Dupré (1748-1833).
Catalog reference: Dav-81, F.287/59; KM-639.6; Dav-1337; Gad-563.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns and Talers, Since 1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.