France AN14-A 40 francs
This specimen was lot 30427 in Stack's Bowers ANA auction (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $647.43. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 40 Franc, L'An 14 (1805)-A. PCGS AU-53." This is a fairly common date for the forty francs. The type was struck An 13-14.
Recorded mintage: 120,581.
Specification: 12.90 g, .900 fine gold, 26 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Pierre-Joseph Tiolier and Jean-Pierre Droz.
Catalog reference: Fr-481; KM-664.1; Gad-1081, F.537/2.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies. Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2014 Chicago ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Featuring the David O'Harrow Collection, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2014.