France AN12-A 20 francs Fr-487
This specimen was lot 23555 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $2,585. The catalog description noted, "Napoleon gold 20 Francs An 12-A, MS62 NGC, scarce one-year type with the barehead non-laureate bust of Napoleon as Empereur. A choice example with bold design features and full mint brilliance. Very rare in mint state and this coin has undeniable eye appeal." The twenty francs of Napoleon are divided into seven types, of which this is the second. It was demonetized in 2005 but ceased to circulate during World War One. This date is the only date of the type, as a new bust was introduced in l'an 13.
Specification: 21 mm diameter, 6.45 grams, .900 fine gold, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE. Designed by Pierre Joseph Tiolier (1763-1819).
Recorded Mintage: 428,123.
Catalog reference: F.510/1, KM 661, Fr-487.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies. Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2012.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- An 12-A ½ franc
- An 12-G ½ franc
- An 12-A franc
- AN 12-A 2 francs Premier Consul
- An 12-K franc, Empereur
- AN 12-A 2 francs Empereur
- An 12-A 5 francs Premier Consul
- An 12-D 5 francs Premier Consul
- An 12-M 5 francs Premier Consul
- An 12-T 5 francs Premier Consul
- AN 12-W 5 francs Premier Consul
- An 12-A 5 francs Empereur
- An 12-A 20 francs Premier Consul
- An 12-A 40 francs
- An 13-A 20 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1803