France 1894-A 100 francs
"100 Francs 1894. Paris Sehr selten, nur 143 Exemplare geprägt. Fast vorzüglich-vorzüglich. (France, third republic, hundred francs of 1894, Paris mint, very rare, only 143 pieces struck. Nice extremely fine.)"This type was struck 1878-1906. In 1907, the edge lettering was changed to read LIBERTE EGALITE FRATERNITE. The mintage of all gold coinage was suspended in 1914. Of the three types of large gold hundred francs, 346,000 were struck of Napoleon III "bare head," 97,000 were struck of Napoleon III "laureate head," and 274,000 were struck of the "génie." Most survivors are bagmarked AU.
Recorded mintage: 143 (the key date).
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, 35 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Albert-Desiré Barré (1818-78), this specimen 32.23 g.
Catalog reference: Gadoury 1137. Schl. 408. Fr. 590, F.552/10.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies. Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Numismatic Coins, Medals, & Banknotes: Auction 18, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2014.