France 1870-K 5 francs
This specimen was lot 439 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $5,445. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE, Le Gouvernement de la Défense Nationale. 1870-1871. AR 5 Francs. Bordeaux mint; différents: cross crosslet and M in star. Charles Marchais, engraver general. Henri A. Delbecque, director. Dated 1870 K. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 66. Gem light violet toned brilliant uncirculated. Struck just this year and mint. Highest ever graded for type and date. Purchased from Richard Margolis." The Paris mint issued four types of five francs in 1870, reflecting the political chaos; first the Napoleon III "laureate head," then the Cérès head, without reverse legend, then this type with the reverse legend and finally the Hercules type, which was used until the five francs was terminated in 1878. By contrast, the Bordeaux mint issued only this type in 1870; varieties exist depending on the orientation of the "M" punched in the reverse star.
Recorded mintage: 569,662.
Specification: 25 g, .900 fine silver, .7234 troy oz AGW, 37 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, this specimen Ø37mm, 24.99 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: VG 742; KM 818.2, F.332/3, Dav-97.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies. Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- 1870-A centime
- 1870-BB franc
- 1870-A 2 francs Third Republic
- 1870-K 2 francs
- 1870-A 5 francs Napoleon III
- 1870-A 5 francs, Cérès head, without reverse legend
- 1870-A 5 francs, Cérès head, with reverse legend
- 1870-A 5 francs, Hercules
- 1870-BB 5 francs, Napoleon III
- 1870-BB 20 francs d'or
- Coins and currency dated 1870