France 1868-A 5 francs
This specimen was lot 425 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $1,028.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE, Second Empire. Napoléon III. 1852-1870. AR 5 Francs à la tête laurée. Paris mint; différents: bee and anchor. Désiré-Albert Barre, engraver general. Renouard de Bussière, director. Dated 1868 A. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 62. Choice lightly toned uncirculated, with a few hairlines holding it back from choice BU. Very appealing for type. Purchased from Superior Stamp & Coin." All 49 million were struck at the Paris (mintmark "A") and Strasbourg (mintmark "BB") mints 1861-70. Virtually all were struck 1867-70; the earlier dates are very rare. This type is commonly called the "Laureate head." After the collapse of Napoleon's empire during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, it was superseded by the "Cérès head" type of 1870-71. It was officially withdrawn from circulation in 1928 and demonetized in 2005 but ceased to circulate in France after World War One.
Recorded mintage: 6,520,459.
Specification: 25 g, .900 fine silver, .7234 troy oz AGW, 37 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE. It was designed by Albert-Desiré Barre, 1818-1879; this specimen Ø37mm, 24.96 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: Dav-96, VG 739; KM 799.1, F.331/12.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1867-BB 5 francs
- 1868-A 20 centimes
- France 1868-BB 20 centimes
- France 1868-BB 50 centimes
- 1868-A franc
- France 1868-BB franc
- France 1868-BB 5 francs
- 1868-A 10 francs d'or
- 1868-BB 10 francs d'or
- 1868-A 20 francs d'or
- 1868-BB 100 francs
- 1869-BB 2 francs "laureate head"
- 1869-A 5 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1868