France 1862-BB 20 francs
This specimen was lot 33796 in Heritage sale 3076 (Long Beach, CA, September 2019), where it sold for $372. The catalog description noted, "France: Napoleon III gold 20 Francs 1862-BB MS63 PCGS, Strasbourg mint." This specimen is a common date of a series struck 1861-70 during the régime of Napoleon III. All 85 million were struck at the Paris (mintmark "A") and Strasbourg (mintmark "BB") mints. All dates are readily available altho gems are scarce. This type is commonly called the "Laureate head." After the collapse of Napoleon's empire during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, it was superseded by the "Génie" type of 1871-98. It was officially withdrawn from circulation in 1928 and demonetized in 2005 but ceased to circulate after World War One.
Recorded mintage: 2,880,244.
Specification: 6.45 g, .900 fine gold, 21 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Albert Désiré Barré (1818-1878).
Catalog reference: F.532/5, KM 801.2, Gad-1062.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Guilloteau, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, Colonies 1670-1942 et Metropole 1774-1942, Versailles, 1942.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano and Warren Tucker, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3076, featuring the Allen Moretti Swiss Collection and the James Mossman Collection of Canadian Coinage, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2019.
- 1861-A 20 francs
- 1861-BB 20 francs
- 1862-A centime
- 1862-A 2 centimes
- 1862-A 5 centimes
- 1862-BB 5 centimes
- 1862-A 10 centimes
- 1862-A 50 centimes
- 1862-A 5 francs
- 1862-A 10 francs
- 1862-A 20 francs
- 1862-BB 50 francs
- 1862-A 100 francs
- 1862-BB 100 francs
- 1863-A 20 francs
- 1863-BB 20 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1862