France 1862-A 100 francs
This specimen was lot 30527 in Heritage sale 3035 (Long Beach, September 2014), where it sold for $4,406.25. The catalog description noted, "Napoleon III gold 100 Francs 1862-A MS62 NGC, Paris mint. A premium coin for the grade with luster that borders on semi-prooflike and design motifs that crisply ascend from the fields. While trivial, several ticks are observed on the obverse surfaces, and surely prevented the Select (MS63) grade." Altho these large gold coins usually trade for little over their bullion value, this "laureate head" 100 francs is not common. During the 1862-70 period of issue, only 97,210 were minted at Paris and Strasbourg together (compared to 346,000 "bare head" 100 francs and 85 million "laureate head" twenty francs).
Recorded mintage: 6,650.
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, 35 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Albert-Desiré Barré (1818-78).
Catalog reference: KM 802.1, F.551/1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2013.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, and Warren Tucker, Heritage Signature Auction 3035, World and Ancient Coins, featuring the FoxLair Collection and the Law Collection, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.
- 1859-A 100 francs
- 1862-A centime
- 1862-K 2 centimes
- 1862-BB 5 centimes
- 1862-A 10 centimes
- 1862-A 50 centimes
- 1862-A 5 francs
- 1862-A 10 francs
- 1862-A 20 francs d'or
- 1862-A 50 francs d'or
- 1862-BB 20 francs
- 1862-BB 50 francs d'or
- 1862-BB 100 francs
- 1864-A 100 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1862
- return to coins of France