France 1857-A 10 francs
"II. Kaiserreich. Napoleon III. 1852-1870. 10 Francs 1857, Paris. Selten in dieser Erhaltung. NGC MS61. (second empire of France, Napoleon III, 1852-70, ten francs of 1857, Paris mint. Rare in this condition, uncirculated.)"This specimen, from the Paris mint, is a common date of a series struck in France 1855-60. The ten francs d'or is, as a class, much scarcer than the contemporary twenty francs d'or. It is especially rare to find in nice condition. The earliest type, with a 17 mm diameter, was struck 1854-55 only and is very scarce. For the bare head type, 24 million five francs, 61 million ten francs and 146 million twenty francs were struck. It was officially withdrawn from circulation in 1928 and demonetized in 2005 but ceased to circulate after World War One.
Recorded mintage: 14,498,000.
Specification: 3.23 g, .900 fine gold, 19 mm diameter, reeded edge.
Catalog reference: KM 784.3, Schl. 299. Gadoury 1014. Fr-576a, F.506/4.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Richter, Jurg, Sincona Auction 54: Gold Coins and Medals, Zurich: SINCONA AG, 2019.
- 1856-A 10 francs
- 1857-A centime
- 1857-K centime
- 1857-A 2 centimes
- 1857-A 5 centimes
- 1857-MA 5 centimes
- 1857-A 10 centimes
- 1857-A 20 centimes
- 1857-A 50 centimes
- 1857-A franc
- 1857-A 2 francs
- 1857-A 20 francs|1857-A 20 francs]]
- 1857-A 50 francs
- 1857-A 100 francs
- 1858-A 10 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1857
- return to coins of France