France 1857-A 100 francs
This specimen was lot 23569 in Heritage sale 3030 (New York, January 2014), where it sold for $1,880. The catalog description noted, "Napoleon III gold 100 Francs 1857-A, MS62 NGC, nicely toned with full mint luster, one noticeable mark on the King's neck." Eight dates comprise a set of this type, which was struck 1855-59. Despite the short run, this is the commonest of the three types of large gold hundred francs, and XF-AU specimens can be had for little over their bullion value.
Recorded mintage: 103,330 (highest mintage date).
Specification: 32.26 g, .900 fine gold, 35 mm diameter, edge lettered DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE, designed by Jean-Jacques Barré (1793-1855); this specimen: 32.27 grams, 34.80 mm.
Catalog reference: Fr-569, Gadoury-262, KM 786.1, F.550/4.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3030, featuring the RLM Collection, the Isaac Rudman Collection, the Hans Cook Collection and the Collection of Donald E. Bently, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2013.
- 1855-A 100 francs d'or
- 1857-A centime
- 1857-K centime
- 1857-A 2 centimes
- 1857-A 5 centimes
- 1857-MA 5 centimes
- 1857-A 10 centimes
- 1857-A 20 centimes
- 1857-A 50 centimes
- 1857-A franc
- 1857-A 2 francs
- 1857-A 5 francs
- 1857-A 10 francs
- 1857-A 20 francs
- 1857-A 50 francs
- 1858-A 100 francs d'or
- Coins and currency dated 1857