France 1854-A 5 francs d'or
The first specimen was lot 50109 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $538. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE.5 Franc, 1854-A. PCGS MS-64+. Plain edge." Later in the year, the design was revised to add a reeded edge and 2,870,170 more were struck of that variety. Gold five francs were struck until 1868.
Recorded mintage: 690,838.
Specification: 1.61 g, .900 fine gold, 14 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by Jacques-Jean Barré.
Catalog reference: Fr-578; KM-783; Gad-1000, F.500/1.
- Cuhaj, George S., and Thomas Michael, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2012.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies. Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Westphalia 1813-C 5 franken
- 1854-A centime
- 1854-MA 2 centimes
- 1854-A 5 centimes
- 1854-A 10 centimes, mint visit
- 1854-A 10 centimes
- 1854-W 10 centimes
- 1854-A 20 centimes
- 1854-A 50 centimes
- 1854-A franc
- 1854-A silver 5 francs
- 1855-A 20 francs
- 1855-A gold 5 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1854
- return to France