France 1853-A 2 centimes
This specimen was part of lot 466 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, July 2014), where it sold for $786.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE, Empire. Lot of eight (8) CU and AR Denominations. Lot includes the following denominations: ...Second Empire. Napoléon III. 1852-1870. CU 2 Centimes à la tête nue, Paris mint; différents: dog’s head and hand. Jacques-Jean Barre, engraver general. CH.-Louis Dierickx, director. Dated 1853 A. In NGC encapsulation graded MS 65 RB. Gem mostly red with great eye appeal...." The regime of Napoleon III finally carried out plans developed during the 1840's to melt down and remint all the old copper circulating in France, some of it dating back to before the Revolution of 1789. Several branch mints were reopened for this purpose. The existing mints were Paris ("A"), Strasbourg ("BB") and Bordeaux ("K"); the reopened mints were Lille ("W"), Marseilles ("MA"), Rouen ("B") and Lyon ("D"). The two centimes is the scarcest of the bronze denominations of Napoleon III, tho it is not rare.
Specification: bronze, 2 g, 20 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by Jean-Jacques Barré (1793-1855). This specimen Ø20 mm, 2.00 g, 6h axis.
Recorded Mintage: 657,550, a common date.
Catalog reference: F.107/1, KM 776.1, Gad-103.
- Michael, Thomas, and Tracy L. Schmidt, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1801-1900, 9th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2019.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Prieur, Michel, and Laurent Schmitt, Le Franc 10: Les Monnaies, Paris: Éditions les Chevau-légers, 2014.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1853-A centime
- 1853-B 2 centimes
- 1853-D 2 centimes
- 1853-A 5 centimes
- 1853-B 5 centimes
- 1853-A 10 centimes
- 1853 10 centimes, visit of the Emperor & Empress to the Bourse at Lille
- 1853-B 10 centimes
- 1853-A 20 centimes
- 1853-A 50 centimes
- 1853-A franc
- 1853-A 2 francs
- 1853-A 20 francs
- Coins and currency dated 1853