France 1793-A sol
This specimen was lot 313 in Classical Numismatic Group's sale of the Lissner Collection (Chicago, August 2014), where it sold for $3,327.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE, Premier République. Convention nationale. 1792-1795. Proof Æ Essai du sol aux balances. Paris mint. By Augustin Dupré. Dually dated 1793 A and L’An 2. In NGC encapsulation graded PF 65. Very rare. Superb lustrous proof with hints of moderate patina. Only coin of this date ever graded and considered a prototype by Gadoury. Purchased from Joe Lepzyck (a really nice man and missed)." This coin was minted at Paris during the throes of the Revolution. 1793 was the year the king was tried and executed. Amid the chaos, large quantities of these copper sols were issued, along with half and two sols. The 1791-93 issues bear the bust of the king but his ouster forced the removal of his portrait. The obverse shows the tablet of the law with the motto, "LES HOMMES SONT EGAUX DEVANT LA LOI," (all men are equal before the law) and the reverse shows the balnce scales of justice. This type was hurriedly and crudely made and is rarely found better than VG.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: bronze or brass, 12.23 g, 29 mm diameter. This specimen is Ø28 mm, 11.74 g, 6h axis.
Catalog reference: Guilloteau 415; Mazzard 294; KM –, sim. to Gad-19.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2011, 20me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2011.
- Teller, M. Louis, and Victor England, Jr., The Richard Lissner Collection, Lancaster, PA: Classical Numismatic Group, 2014.
- 1793-H demi-sol aux balances
- 1793-B deux sols aux balances
- 1793-B 2 sols
- 1793-B 2 sols aux balances
- 1793-I 30 sols
- 1793-A demi-écu constitutionnel
- 1793-A écu constitutionnel
- 1793-AA écu constitutionnel
- 1793-K écu constitutionnel
- 1793-L écu constitutionnel
- 1793-M écu constitutionnel
- 1793-R écu constitutionnel
- 1793-A 6 livres
- 1793-AA 6 livres
- 1793-A 24 livres
- 1793-A Louis d'or constitutionnel
- 1793-W 24 livres
- (1794)-MA sol aux balances
- Coins and currency dated 1793
- return to France