France 1771-A 2 louis d'or
This specimen was lot 20435 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 2 Louis d'Or, 1771-A. Paris Mint. Louis XV (1715-74). PCGS MS-61 Secure Holder. A VERY SCARCE type known as the double louis d'or à la vielle tete, struck 1771-75. This example, though a point lower than the 1773-W we offered in January (New York, lot 20225), is quite possibly better balanced, without significant nicks, bag marks or hairlines; however, several of the usual planchet imperfections and minor adjustment marks do appear on the reverse and help account for the grade. As it is, the single finest certified example of this date at either NGC or PCGS." This rare type was struck in some numbers 1771-75. It probably fell victim to the same mass melting of gold that destroyed the double louis d'or au buste habillé of Louis XVI in 1785-87. Some mints, such as Lyon, struck double louis d'or au bandeau in 1771.
Recorded mintage: 86,807, the most common date of a rare type.
Specification: 16.31 g, .917 fine gold, corded edge, 28-29 mm diameter, designed by J.-C. Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: Fr-463; KM-519.1; Gad-346; Dr/4 no. 793, Dr/2 no. 545.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.