France 1754-Q 2 louis d'or
This specimen was lot 20434 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Anaheim, CA, August 2016), where it sold for $3,290. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 2 Louis d'Or, 1754-Q. Perpignan Mint. Louis XV (1715-74). NGC MS-63. Additionally, a better date overall since none were struck in Paris that year. Population of two at this level with none graded finer at NGC. Bright canary yellow satin luster and free of marks or abrasions." This type was struck 1742-73 in some numbers but the Perpignan mint issued this type 1743-59, 1763-72 only. Most issues of this mint are rare to unknown and this one is typical.
Recorded mintage: 4,252.
Specification: 16.31 g, .917 fine gold, reeded edge, 28-29 mm diameter, designed by J.-C. Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: Dr/4 no. 792, Dr/2 no. 542, Fr-463; KM-519.14; Gad-463.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition, Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Ponterio, Richard, The August 2016 Anaheim ANA Auction: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.