France 1754-Pau 2 louis d'or
This specimen was lot 20220 in Stack's Bowers 2018 NYINC sale (New York, January 2018), where it sold for $3,000. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. 2 Louis d'Or, 1754. Pau Mint. Louis XV (1715-74). NGC MS-63. Single finest certified of the date at either NGC or PCGS. RARE in this state of preservation. Struck for the semi-autonomous region of Bearn in far southwestern France, an area which was originally annexed by Louis XIII in 1620, but which maintained its own States and Parliament in Pau up until 1789. Although this Bearnaise mint is not rare, it is often collected as a separate sub-type because of the variant obverse legend ('LUD-XV-D-G-FR- -ET-NA-RE-BD-' instead of the usual 'LUD-XV-D-G-FR- -ET-NA-REX'). Fresh and lustrous with light unobtrusive adjustment marks on the reverse and attractive light orange tone amongst the devices of the obverse." Droulers lists Pau mint issues for 1742-45, 1750-70 with some of the mintages from the sixties being quite substantial.
Reported Mintage: 12,018.
Specification: 16.31 g, .917 fine gold, 28-29 mm diameter, reeded edge, designed by J.-C. Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: Fr-463; KM-522; Gad-346a, Dr/4 no. 792a, Dr/2 no. 542a.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio, John Kraljevich and Cris Chatigny, The January 2018 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Eldorado Collection of Colombian and Ecuadorian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2017.