France 1749-X ecu
This specimen was lot 50410 in Ponterio sale 168 (Philadelphia, August 2012), where it sold for $1,116. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Ecu, 1749-X. NGC MS-63." This specimen was also lot 2395 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2017), where it sold for $1.762.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Ecu, 1749-X. Amiens Mint. Louis XV (1715-74). NGC MS-63. Beautiful bandeau type with attractive toning and full luster. Some weakness to the central reverse where some adjustment marks are present as well. Otherwise in an excellent state of preservation with only a few light stray bag marks as signs of handling. Nice even medium gray toning at centers which is illuminated from beneath by original luster and contrasted with flashing highlights of golden amber to light blue at the outer legend." This product of the Amiens mint, which closed in 1772, is scarce.
Recorded mintage: unknown.
Specification: 29.45 g, .917 fine silver, 39 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: DFW-494, Dupl-1680; Ciani-2122; Dav-1331; KM-512.23; Gad-322, Dr/4 no. 820, Dr/2 no. 584.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Ponterio, Richard, Ponterio sale 168: The Official ANA Auction, Irvine, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, The January 2017 NYINC Sale: Ancient Coins, World Coins & Paper Money, featuring the Richard Stuart Collection, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2016.