France 1749-W louis d'or
This specimen was lot 29407 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $2,820. The catalog description noted, "Louis XV gold Louis d'or 1749-W MS64 NGC, Lille mint, Luminous, with deeply-golden surfaces and attractive hints of amber tone. Virtually as-struck, with most impressive raised detail throughout. A superb example of this popular type." This is the most common date for 1749. Lille struck this type for France every year 1740-71. Most dates are rare but the common dates are very common.
Recorded mintage: 170,700.
Specification: 8.158 g, .917 fine gold, 24 mm diameter, reeded edge.
Catalog reference: Dupl., 1643; Gad-341; Dr/4 no. 801, Dr/2 no. 543, KM 513.22, Fr-464.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.