France 1746-W ecu
This specimen was lot 20427 in Stack's Bowers ANA sale (Philadelphia, August 2018), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Ecu, 1746-W. Lille Mint. Louis XV (1715-74). NGC MS-62. Displaying exceptional quality and eye appeal, with full sharpness throughout all the design's intended detail and surfaces that show no evidence of the planchet adjustments that so often accompany the type. Vibrant gleam exists in the fields and really helps to accentuate the tone, a unique mixture of gold, blue and green that is smooth in places, but presents in an attractive speckled pattern in others. For the collector attempting to assemble a collection of elite Ecus by type, this offering certainly deserves a close look." This specimen was offered again as lot 40171 in Stack's Bowers NYINC sale (New York, January 2019), where, once again, it did not sell. The type was struck 1740-70 and is recorded for the Lille mint (mintmark "W") for 1742-43, 1746, 1748-49, 1759-65, 1767-70; most of the early dates are rare but the later ones are common.
Recorded mintage: 69,886, a fairly common date.
Specification: 29.49 g, .917 fine silver, 39-41 mm diameter, edge lettered DOMINE SALVUM FAC REGEM.
Catalog reference: Dav-1331; KM-512.22; Gad-322; Dupl-1680; Ciani-2122; Dr/5-747; Dr/4 no. 820, Dr/2 no. 584, DFW-494.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, Kyle Ponterio and Chris Chatigny, The August 2018 Philadelphia ANA Auction: World Coins and Selections from the El Dorado Collection of Colombian Coins, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2018.