France 1746-N ecu
The first specimen was lot 9167 in Ponterio sale 151 (Baltimore, November 2009), where it sold for $402.50. The catalog description noted, "FRANCE. Ecu, 1746-N. Montpelier Mint. Louis XV (1715-74). Light adjustment marks on the reverse. ALMOST UNCIRCULATED." The type was struck 1740-70 and is recorded for the Montpellier mint (mintmark "N") for 1743-54, 1759-61, 1763-70; most dates from Montpellier are very rare and usually found in low grade. See the article on the 1743-N écu for more details.
Recorded mintage: 36,613 (listed in  as "one known").
Specification: 29.45 g, .917 fine silver, 39 mm diameter.
Catalog reference: Dav-1331, Dr/4 no. 820, Dr/2 no. 584, KM 512.14.
- Alhéritière, Edouard, and Ludovic Deswelle, "Les écus de Louis XV de bandeau: point de situation," Numismatique et Change, No. 349 [Mai 2004], pp. 61-63.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Kent Ponterio, Ponterio sale 151: The 2009 Baltimore Auction, Irvine, CA: Bowers and Merena, 2009.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.