France 1745-W louis d'or
This specimen was lot 29405 in Heritage sale 3037 (New York, January 2015), where it sold for $2,350. The catalog description noted, "Louis XV gold Louis d'or 1745-W MS63 NGC, Lille mint. Boldly struck, with luminous golden color and very light tone. The surfaces are fresh and the design elements are fully-struck. A few ticks are present upon the bust, but do little to detract from the overall appealing nature of this specimen." This is the most common date for 1745. Lille struck this type every year 1740-71. Most dates are rare but the common dates are very common.
Recorded mintage: 296,070.
Specification: 8.158 g, .917 fine gold, 24 mm diameter, reeded edge.
Catalog reference: Dupl., 1643; Gad-341; Dr/4 no. 801, Dr/2 no. 543, KM 513.22, Fr-464.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Friedberg, Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg, Gold Coins of the World, From Ancient Times to the Present, 7th ed., Clifton, NJ: Coin and Currency Institute, 2003.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and Scott Cordry, Heritage Signature Auction 3037, featuring the Empire, the Santa Catarina, the Law and the Santa Maria Collections, Dallas, TX: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2014.