France 1742-Pau ecu
This specimen was lot 2809 in Goldberg sale 98 (Los Angeles, June 2017), where it sold for $70.50. The catalog description noted, "France. Ecu aux Bandeau du Bearn, 1742-Cow (Pau mint). Louis XV. Ex-"La Auguste" Treasure. Few light adjustment marks. With Certificate. Very Fine." The écu au bandeau is the most popular coin of the ancien regime among collectors. Alhéritière and Deswelle reported 575 dates for this type in 2004; three more have been published since. An additional 215 dates may exist; records show they were minted but no one has found one. Four dates are known which the archives state should not exist. Of these only two dozen or so are classed as common (20 or more examples known), while 481 dates are known from five or fewer examples. Droulers lists the 1742-Pau as not rare but it is scarce compared to the large issues of the 1760's from this mint.
Recorded mintage: 129,815.
Specification: 29.49 g, .917 fine silver, 39-42 mm diameter, edge lettered DOMINE SALVUM FAC REGEM.
Catalog reference: Dav-1331A, Dr/4 no. 820a, Dr/2 no. 584a, KM-512.
- Alhéritière, Edouard, and Ludovic Deswelle, "Les écus de Louis XV de bandeau: point de situation," Numismatique et Change, No. 349 [Mai 2004], pp. 61-63.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Goldberg, Ira, Larry Goldberg, John Lavender, Yifu Che, Jason Villareal and Stephen Harvey, Goldberg Sale 98: the Pre-Long Beach Auction, Los Angeles: Goldberg Coins and Collectibles, 2017.