France 1736-B louis d'or
This specimen was lot 23821 in Heritage sale 3024 (Chicago, April 2013), where it sold for $1,997.50. The catalog description noted, "Louis XV gold Louis d'Or 1736-B, MS65 NGC, fully lustrous with no adjustment marks, appears to be 6/5 overdate. Very scarce in this select grade." This type is recorded for 1726-40 and is among the more common gold coins of the French ancien régime, this date from Rouen (mintmark "B") is probably scarce but awarded little premium in Droulers, who mentions no overdate.
Recorded mintage: 23,295.
Specification: 8.16 g, .917 fine gold, 22-23 mm diameter, reeded edge, designed by Norbert Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: KM 489.3, Dr/4 no. 800, Dr/2 no. 540.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Bierrenbach, Cristiano, Warren Tucker and David Michaels, Heritage World and Ancient Coins Auction 3024, featuring the Kairos and Elizabeth McPhall Charters Collections, Dallas: Heritage Auction Galleries, 2013.
- 1735-M louis d'or aux lunettes
- 1736-D écu aux branches d'olivier
- 1736-T demi-écu aux branches d'olivier