France 1733-& ecu
This specimen was lot 39120 in Stack's Bowers Winter sale (Baltimore, November 2015), where it did not sell. The catalog description noted, "The finest graded example by a 2 point margin. The 49-year reign of Louis XV provides collectors with multiple different portraits depicting the monarch as he aged, the type offered here depicting the king at around age 11 when it was first issued in 1726. Collecting by portrait would be an interesting type-set worthy of pursuit in its own right, but among 18th century crowns the piece offered here is of such magnificent preservation that any collection regardless of parameters would surely increase in prestige with its addition. All original surfaces exhibiting light champagne tone with subtle iridescence. Sharply struck with each and every hair curl well defined, the reverse is even more impressive, with all three center fleur de lis crisp and solid. A coin that surely will attract serious attention from multiple bidders."
Recorded mintage: 209,160, a rather common date.
Specification: 29.49 g, .917 fine silver, 39-41 mm diameter, edge lettered, DOMINE SALVUM FAC REGEM.
Catalog reference: Gad-321, KM 486.27, Dr/4 no. 819, Dr/2 no. 579, Dav-1330.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- Davenport, John S., European Crowns, 1700-1800, 2nd Ed., London: Spink & Son, 1964.
- Gadoury, Victor, Monnaies Royales Françaises, 1610-1792, 4me éd., Monaco: Éditions Victor Gadoury, 2012.
- Ponterio, Richard, and Todd McKenna, The November 2015 Baltimore Auction, World Coins and Paper Money, featuring the Ray Czabor Collection and selections from the Strong Museum, Santa Ana, CA: Stack's Bowers LLC, 2015.
- 1733-P demi-écu aux branches d'olivier
- 1733-& demi-écu aux branches d'olivier
- 1733-A écu aux branches d'olivier
- 1733-L écu aux branches d'olivier
- 1733-Y écu aux branches d'olivier
- 1733-I demi-louis d'or aux lunettes
- France 1733-A louis d'or aux lunettes
- Coins and currency dated 1733
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)