France 1720-BB liard
Shown is a liard au buste adolescent from the Strasbourg mint. The type was struck for France 1719-23; the mintages are unknown but 40,000,000 pieces were authorized and there is no reason to think the authorization was not fulfilled. The coin is common in low grade but scarce in nice condition, as coppers were beneath the notice of collectors of the period. Sols and demi-sols were also struck with this bust. No more liards were struck until 1767.
Recorded mintage: unknown but a common date.
Specification: 3.06 g, pure copper, 20-21 mm diameter, plain edge, designed by Norbert Roéttiers.
Catalog reference: Dr/4 no. 870, Dr/2 no. 573, KM 450.3.
- Droulers, Frédéric, Répertoire General des Monnaies de Louis XIII à Louis XVI (1610-1792), 4e édition. Paris: AFPN, 2009.
- Duplessy, Jean, Les Monnaies Françaises Royales de Hugues Capet à Louis XVI (987-1793), Tome II, 2e édition, Paris: Maison Platt, 1999.
- Michael, Thomas, Standard Catalog of World Coins, 1701-1800, 7th ed., Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2016.
- 1719-A sol au buste adolescent
- 1720-A demi sol au buste enfantin
- 1720-S sol au buste enfantin
- 1720-B XX sols de France-Navarre
- 1720-K XX sols de France-Navarre
- 1720-N XX sols de France-Navarre
- 1720-W XX sols de France-Navarre
- 1720-& XX sols de France-Navarre
- 1720-A 1/3 écu
- 1720-A écu au grand écusson de France
- 1721-S liard au buste adolescent
- Coins and currency dated 1720
- return to French Royal coinage (to 1793)